Friday, May 30, 2008

Clearly I'm a hypocrite...

Some abbreviations I use or am familiar with in medicine:
NEC
Stab
SCN
ADL
UTI
FLK
ECMO
Vanc
Gent
Naf
Amp
Vent
UAC
UVC
HFJV
HFOV
PT
OT
FMBM
Sim SC
TIA
IV


Some abbreviations I use or am familiar with in my hobbies and other aspects of everyday life:

circs
LYS
frog
DPN's
dh
ds
dd
fan fic
KR

Abbreviatons that are my pet peeves:
ANY type of shortening of American English:
Congrats
Text messaging language
IM language
Luv
Nat Geo (as in National Geographic)
and other examples along these lines


Clearly I use the first list, could fill it much further and will never ever remember them all in one sitting.

The second list I usually read with no problem, and use some but not all.

The third list, while I am guilty of the first on it (but not using it so much anymore) I despise more and more each day. With a passion. I hate to read things like written in these ways (just ask my siblings how I lecture them every time they write to me using abbreviations) and really I can't express to you how much it irks me. I hate to see the public - church signs, television stations (National Geographic anyone... just listen to them on the commercials next time "today on Nat Geo...") letters, the news paper, homework assignments (we had a newspaper article about that) - using this. I'm really irritated every time I come into contact with situations like these. And yes, I am one who when text messaging "types" everything out.

So the questions become - How much of a hypocrite am I? I use the first list no questions asked, and I usually "enjoy" using the first list. I accept and use some of the second list. So, why does this make the third so unacceptable and should this make me apologize to my siblings? How old does this make me despite my age (especially when you combine other aspects of my personality into it)?

It's something to ponder...

No comments: