Monday, November 03, 2008

What did I get myself into...

I'm a picky person when it comes to things such as music, movies, books, etc. I guess in general I'm just picky. It's really been getting to my siblings for awhile - especially when it comes to music. My siblings - for those of you who don't realize it there is a 17 year age difference from me to the youngest - seem to believe I'm stuck in "old" music. I suppose you could say they're right. I prefer to listen to light rock and 70's rock and 80's... things I grew up listening to. I do know some current songs - but a lot of that is thanks to Chad.

I had a few years in high school that I listened to the popular station, but not long after graduating I reverted back. Now I find I hate listening to the popular stations because it's the same thing over and over again so I choose to stick with the familiar and the comfortable.

Back when James came in July the essence of one conversation that we had was that it wasn't because I choose to but because it's all I'll ever know music wise. I told him I could learn any song I wanted to. He just laughed.

Therefore - I have made a bet with my brother. By Christmas I will learn 10 rap songs and not just any 10 rap songs but 10 current rap songs. That means no Gangsta's Paradise, Big Butts, Slim Shady - or anything else that would take a ten minute refresher to learn.

I have held out on learning them, I haven't been listening to a lot of rap. But I have a valid reason for waiting. I wanted songs that would be fresh in his head come December, that meant waiting for a top 10 closer to then.

Last night, I looked up the Billboard top 10 in rap. I have my songs and surprisingly I know that I've heard at least half of them more than once before already. I've got a better start than he thought I did already then.

What's at stake - If I win James does whatever chores I tell him to. If he wins I pay him $1 per song I can't sing.

Now the only thing left to decide is how to present myself singing the songs to him... he was embarrassed enough to hear me singing when I was just there. I told him though if he thinks that's bad then I could always post them on You Tube for all his classmates to see... he looked like a ghost at the thought of that.

Wish me luck, I'm going to be surrounded by these songs for awhile...

No comments: