Sunday, January 27, 2008

Houseplants

So, in lieu of anything different from usual going on in our lives, and unable to believe that the end of January is this week. I'm going to use my weekly update spot (because that's all the "update" your getting) to plead for help with my houseplants.

I like my houseplants but am entirely too neglectful to them because I really don't know what I'm doing. Kind of like if I ever wanted to ride the bus... don't know what I'm doing (but that's another post for another day).

So, first up we have mystery plant. This is a view from the side, after having removed all the dead leaves (they just came off in my hand and were brown anyway...):
And this view from the top:
I would really like to know what this is and how to care for it. We received it in July at Chad's grandmother's funeral. Other than watering it, and today taking off the dead leaves, I haven't touched it.

Next is my African Violet, which I am learning I have sorely mistreated:

I purchased it a year and a half ago, if not a little longer, from Wal-mart and have never re-potted it (the mistreatment). It was in bloom when I purchased it and has not bloomed since. I do know to only water it from the bottom, which I have done. But am at a loss other than re-potting into something larger as to what else to do with it and am very intimidated at the sites I find online about them. There really seems to be a cult following for these.

This is mystery plant number 2:
A cutting from my grandmother, and she grows the things like weeds in her house, but this one hasn't sprouted anymore. I put one outside that has died off for the winter (just to see what it would do) and it produced several little sprouts and I'm waiting to see what the outdoor one will do come springtime.

This is the aloe from my grandmother, that seems sickly but remains green:
I have taken her advice and not watered it so much but it still seems like I need to do something else for it...

Here we have one of my two Christmas cacti that has bloomed off and on. I suspect it needs a bigger pot and not so much water to bloom again, but it's sprouting new leaves and staying healthy:
(this is a pot that waters from the bottom so I should probably put the African Violet in this...)

This second Christmas Cactus I received as a cutting from a nurse who I used to work with and it was only three leaves. It's bloomed before as well and I'm very happy it's doing so well.





Next is a mixture I got for my birthday:
It's a little sad because it needed water but is doing well.

Here we have two cuttings from the chicken and hen plant I bought and planted out front last spring:


They look wonderful and I can't wait for them to begin producing babies...

And that does it for me. And advice and identifications on my mystery plants are very welcome but alas I'm such a beginner that I should be told terms and such with the thoughts of a 10 yo child in mind...

8 comments:

zippiknits...sometimes said...

Well, Melissa, you may need to get a grow light to help your plants. It can be as simple as a fluorescent fixture they can spend some time under. Lack of light seems to be adding some problems for the group of four. And the violets like to be fed I use Optimara for my one surviving African Violet. Sometimes they are very touchy about being moved. Mine hasn't bloomed since being moved off the window sill in my studio. They also like to have bright light, not direct, but bright.

I have both of the two mystery plants but don't know that they are called. Two of the ones you didn't ask about I do know. Dumb cane and a prayer plant, in the group of four together. Dieffenbachia is the proper name of Dumb cane.

If someone else hasn't told you already, in a PM. I will try to find the other two in my Garden book.

vi said...

my african violets seem to like tight feet
i have them in a south window!
over the sink
it gets cold there at night but the humidity does them a world of good
i feed them with diluted fish emulsion (1/2 strength) every third watering
and i flush them from the top once in a while

i can not explain WHY they bloom there but they do
they shouldn't...it should be way too much light for them


the others need a bit more light..like lella said

the hens and chicks...and the aloe
ok
i keep the suculents in a west/north west window
and sort of ignore them
however they USEd to be right over the heat duct.....
they loved it
i would water them once in a while...when i remembered
feed them maybe once a year.....
maybe....
they grew like weeds

i think they liked the bottom heat
and the extra sun
i also mixed their potting soil with some sand as they like the drainage
i have to repot the aloe as one tiny plant FILLED the entire 30 inch long window box planter i had it in

vi

curly said...

ok, I am absolutely no help with plants, the ones grandma gave me are worse than yours. The only thing I can grow is bamboo, only because it doesn't realize what house it is in, then I am sure it will die too!! Silk plants are looking better and better. Forget that to, you have to dust the damn things. love, Mom

Melissa said...

Grandma's looked okay the last time I was at home Mom. What did you do?

And I remember you having lots of plants that were just fine when I was little. Or was it because I was little I thought they were fine?

Oh well, it will be figured out.

zippiknits...sometimes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
zippiknits...sometimes said...

Hi Melissa, thanks for visiting my blog, and yes it's a prayer plant with the interesting pattern, hanging over the edge there. The other little green one looks like some sort of philodendron, but I can't be sure.

Have fun with your plants. And there are amazing resources on the web, just not a lot of pictures, really. I was amazed that the other mystery was a sansevieria, but of course it must be. Wow. Now I have two varieties. :) Here's a page with TONS of them:

http://www.theamateursdigest.com/sansevs.htm

Hi Melissa's Mom :)

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your plants. Plants come to my house to die. I got the black thumb from my dad's side of the family. When Maureen and Rich moved into their house on the lake, my aunt's friend gave her some kind of house plant that is supposed to be impossible to kill. Yeah it was dead in about 6 months. I have tried to plant outside, along our walkway, but I put in walkway lights instead. I'm thinking of doing a rock garden next. Can't kill rocks. :o)

Anonymous said...

OK,here's a little help anyway!
MP#1: Draecena or corn plant: we had these 12 feet tall growing in our garden - in Panama!. It likes light and moderate water (once or twice a week is good).
MP#2: Sanseveria, also called mother-in-law's tongue! It likes lots of light and a little water once a week just like your hens and chicks! Treat it kind of like a cactus - only water it when it seems really dry. No more than once a week. Same for the aloe vera and water!!!

African violets don't mind being squished, they LOVE a south window and need food to bloom - Jobe's african violet spikes are great, if you can't find any let me know and I'll send you some!

What can I say about the planter??? The diffenbachia (the tall one in the middle) would probably like its own pot since the fern needs more water than the diff. You can put it and the prayer plant in the same pot - they both like about the same amount of water - water when the top of the soil is dry down to about an inch. These grew outside in Panama too - I could look throught the tops from my 2nd floor windows!!!

Light Light Light! A grow light would probably help yay zippiknits.

BTW, diffs got their nickname "dumbcane" because they are mildly toxic! You probably don't want kitties to chew on it.

Good luck! Houseplants are waaaay more complicated than knitting!