Wednesday, June 13, 2007

And the Results are...


Yes, that's correct, I passed. Now I am an orange belt which I will receive in the awards ceremony this Saturday.

It was surprising for me since this is technically my third test (the first time I tested I went up two belts instead of one so I tested back to back for my yellow then purple) and the third time I've sat with an instructor and stated "not that well" when asked how I thought I did.

I thought surely I would be called out on my Mucsha Geri (please forgive me if my spellings are incorrect the pronunciation does not sound at all how this sound but seeing as they are Japanese words...) because I wobble and when I do it, it just doesn't feel like it's a technically sound kick. (English term in my style of Karate is a roundhouse kick). And surprisingly I'm told it's very good.

What?!!

As the Sensei explained I have it definitely down for having just learned it and have a very good hip rotation in that kick. I've been told this about my rotation in my punches and the coverage my blocks have as well. I believe this all comes down to I have prior karate experience (although not the same style but a similar one) and am drawing on muscle memory for the moves and stances.

I was happy that I stayed down in my Nihanchi stance (kind of a straddle stance) as this is difficult to do and I want to revert to my old style with my feet.


As for what to work on - pull backs- I was told to do them faster and I will maintain balance better on kicks and be able to get more power out of my punches and blocks. Note made and will be working on that immediately. And looking -foolish me didn't look all the way through my katas which will get me when I'm a higher belt but right now is just a slap on the wrist.

So, yay! I've passed and can work on a new kata and develop more in my style. Plus it brings me one more step closer to being in black belt club and working with the traditional weapons. Which I'm optimistic about being able to do because of a conversation I had with my main Sensei the other day.

He asked me if I had ever done weapons in my previous style of which I told him I had worked with the bo a little and enjoyed it but it was frowned upon for my brother and I to be working with weapons at our ages.

I was then told that I would be able to start working with them once I get green belt. I smiled and said I looked forward to it and inside was jumping for joy.

You see, to do weapons training (Kobodu is what it's officially called) I not only have to achieve green belt but I have to become a member of the black belt club as well. That is an elected club by the Sensei's not something I get to choose. I was very excited to hear that I am being considered for black belt club and had to quietly contain my joy.

So, I have a lot of work to get going with and I'm excited to do so. It's a shame that I can't start until next week.

So anyway, I'll talk to you guys Sunday and maybe I'll show you my new belt too...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congatulations Melissa!! ;)